Next to car accident, slip and falls accidents are one of the most common occurrences in Las Vegas that can cause serious injury or even death. It seems that no place is truly safe – slip and falls can occur on private property such as a friend’s home or in a public setting such as a supermarket, shopping mall, office building, school or sidewalk. A number of these cases are due to property that is not being properly maintained and has hazardous conditions such as uneven sidewalks, or something spilled on the floor.
All property owners are required to use reasonable care when it comes to the management and care of their property to prevent exposing the public to an unreasonable risk of harm. This means that property owners must inspect their property to learn of any unsafe conditions that could potentially cause harm. And, if something potentially hazardous is uncovered, the owner of that property must either repair the defect or provide sufficient warning of the condition to the public. The most common example of such a warning is a wet floor caution sign. They are designed to stand out so that the general public can see them and be fully aware of the risk.
The first step in any slip and fall case is to first determine whether the property owner knew or should have known of the hazardous condition and then failed to take the appropriate steps to prevent harm. You can assist your attorney greatly in making these vital assessments by following a few simple steps if you find yourself the victim of a slip and fall.
- If you suffer any injuries, seek the necessary medical treatment immediately;
- If you are in a public building, such as a shopping mall or grocery store, notify the manager on duty of your slip and fall. If you are injured and unable to do this your step, ask someone to do it on your behalf;
- If you have a phone, even a camera phone, take pictures of whatever it was that caused you to slip and fall;
- If there are any witnesses, ask them to provide you with their contact information;
- If there is any video available of the area in which you fell, ask management or the proper authorities to preserve any video surveillance. If you retain the attorneys of Gregory & Waldo to represent you in your claim, we will also immediately notify the property owner in writing of their obligation to preserve any evidence of how the injury occurred, including any video. Because of how commonplace it is to tape over video, this step can be critical in preserving your claim.
Despite how common they occur, slip and fall cases can be difficult to prove on your own. Our personal injury attorneys have years of experience in handling slip and fall cases, and are here to help and guide you every step of the way. Do not hesitate. If you have been injured in a slip and fall case, please contact us today at 702-830-7925 for a free consultation.