Juvenile Crimes

Juvenile CrimesIf a person under the age of 18 is accused of a crime, most likely that person will be considered a juvenile in the court system and end up in juvenile court. The juvenile court system runs very differently than the adult system, so it is important to have an attorney who understands the differences between juvenile cases and adult cases.

When a minor is charged with a crime, usually the minor is arrested and goes to the juvenile detention center. At the minor’s first court appearance they will either admit or deny the allegations against them. This differs from adult court where the defendants either plead guilty or not guilty to the charges. Juvenile charges are treated less like criminal offenses in the court system, however, the results and consequences can be the same. If a minor is found to have committed an offense, they can end up with a misdemeanor, gross misdemeanor, or felony charge on their record, and have to face criminal penalties, such as detention, fines, community service, counseling, or classes.

In the juvenile system, a large part of the system focuses on rehabilitation of the minor, rather than punishment. The judge, probation, counselors, and defense attorneys work together to figure out what is the best course of action for the minor to ensure that any troublesome behavior is changed and not repeated. This is why it is important to have an attorney who will form a relationship with the entire family, and will work with probation and counselors to help reach the best resolution of the minor. It is also important to have an attorney to ensure that the minor’s rights are being respected by the court system.

The attorneys at Gregory & Waldo are experienced with the juvenile court system in Nevada and have achieved positive results for past clients. If you have a minor who has been accused of a crime in Nevada, it is important to contact an attorney who handles juvenile cases immediately. If you have a child who is facing allegations in the juvenile court system, call 702-830-7925 for a free consultation.

Check our blog for more information on Juvenile Crimes.